• Blood Drive is May 4

• Cavalier Community Concert on Friday, May 12th from 5 – 7 pm in the bus loop

• LTI Town Hall Meeting on Thursday, April 27 during 4th period

Jonathan Dosso Heads to Nationals

Maya Bickel, Editor-in-Chief

Although Jonathan Dosso’s wrestling career had a rocky start, in July he will be going with the Maryland national team to wrestling nationals in Fargo, North Dakota.

Now a senior at John F. Kennedy High School, Dosso first began wrestling in his freshman year.

“Freshman year I didn’t know what I was doing at all,” says Dosso, who had a record of seven wins and 16 losses that year.

In his junior year Dosso was made captain, which, he explained, made him “step up and really lead by example” for his team. His record was 35 wins and five losses and he placed fourth in the county and then fifth in regionals, one rank away from making states.

Dosso’s senior year was his most competitive year because he had a stacked weight class, meaning his weight class had the best wrestlers so he faced the hardest competition. He won 32 matches and lost eight. Unfortunately he did not place in counties, but he did place fourth in regionals which allowed him to qualify for states where he made it to the top eight.

After states Dosso’s high school season ended, but he continued competing off-season. In a states competition for specific wrestling styles not competed in high school, Dosso placed in the top three for freestyle wrestling and is now part of the Maryland team going to nationals.

“I never thought I’d make it this far,” said Dosso, especially because “I was not born into the sport like some of the other kids.”

“I have come a long way,” Dosso continued, and “the fact that I qualified for nationals is just an amazing feeling for me.”