• Blood Drive is May 4

• Cavalier Community Concert on Friday, May 12th from 5 – 7 pm in the bus loop

• LTI Town Hall Meeting on Thursday, April 27 during 4th period

Snow Storm Affects Athletes

Drawing by Kailah Christopher

Drawing by Kailah Christopher

Amina N'Gambwa, Editor

While the snow storm last week gave many students a much needed break after exams, it was not as well received by athletes. The snow limited transportation, cancelled games, and made staying in shape much harder to do. For athletes with competitions to prepare for, the snow was not a welcome interruption.

“We got little to no practice during the storm, and we had to squeeze in a small practice before the first game back against Springbrook, one of our toughest rivals,” Nick Patel, junior and varsity basketball player said. The boys and girls basketball teams missed two games due to the storm.

Similarly, the swim team, which only gets two days in the pool a week to begin with, had to cancel both practices. This meant that some people were out of the water for over a week.

“It took a good week due to the snow before I was able to get to the pool which ended up being the day before the divisional meet,” Emerson Miller, member of the swim team said. “I was able to get to the pool with my relay team [Connor Ruppert, Casey McKneely and Caelin Hoye] because the divisional meet would be our first and last chance to qualify for Metros.”

While Miller and his relay team went to the pool, the majority of the team did not. The team had to compete in the divisional meet without any preparations the week before. While many swimmers were fueled by the exciting nature of the meet, the lack of practicing during the week had negative effects on the swimmers and their times.

Other athletes who play spring sports have also been training to get in shape before their seasons begin.

“The baseball season starts soon so we’re all trying to get in good shape,” Chris Nunez, sophomore and varsity baseball player said. “With the snow storm, the gyms were closed so we had to find ways to workout at home, but it isn’t the same.”

Many athletes found themselves in this predicament due to the storm. While the break was refreshing for a pause in the academic year, athletics took a hard hit due to their lack of practice opportunities.

However, for some, the break was just what they needed to get their minds right.

“Even though we didn’t get to play, it was nice to have a small break for the team to relax and get everything together whether it be school work or something else,” Patel said. It seems as though the basketball teams needed this break to turn things around. “A week after the long break, we are playing the best basketball so far in our season, taking down huge competition in Springbrook and Magruder.”

While the break was enjoyed while it was in session, teams and athletes are back to their normal routines and are looking to quickly get back into shape and continue with their training, conditioning, and competitions.