• Blood Drive is May 4

• Cavalier Community Concert on Friday, May 12th from 5 – 7 pm in the bus loop

• LTI Town Hall Meeting on Thursday, April 27 during 4th period

Study Tips For the New Semester

Axelle Wouappi, Reporter

It’s that time of year again!  The first semester of the 2015-2016 school year is officially over. Students at John F. Kennedy High School have finished going through the daunting task of wrapping up final assignments in an attempt to improve their grades. But with a new quarter now in full swing, students can feel added pressure. Fortunately, here are some tips to help you keep up your grades in the new semester.

The first tip is to complete all of your homework and other assessments when they are due. Don’t try and hand them all in when the quarter is about to end!

The second tip is to not cram. When studying for tests, it’s important to space it out. Don’t try to learn a whole units worth of information in one sitting.

Take short and frequent breaks. Give your eyes and brain a break.

Another good tip is get together with some of your classmates and quiz each other.  

Remember, you can also always ask your teacher or other students for help if you do not understand the material. Kennedy also has a writing center and a program for studying with teachers after school and during lunch in the auditorium.

A good way to retain the material in your new classes is to copy your notes. You remember more information when you are handwriting it. This technique also gives you the opportunity to review your notes.

You can also turn the information you need to know into a crazy story. Crazy stories are more memorable than long lists of facts.

This is a given, but make sure to study things that will be on your tests. It would be a waste of time to study topics that will not even be on the test. Speaking of time, spend more time on more challenging topics and less on easier topics.

Find a quiet place where you will be able to focus on your work.

And finally, sleep. It is very important to get at least nine hours of sleep every night.

So, here you have it: some tips to help you do well in this new semester. Good luck!