• Blood Drive is May 4

• Cavalier Community Concert on Friday, May 12th from 5 – 7 pm in the bus loop

• LTI Town Hall Meeting on Thursday, April 27 during 4th period

Kennedy Keeps Watch, New Mural by Art Department

Melany Lopez, Reporter

With seniors leaving in no fewer two months, what can one do before the leave? What about art? “ I did it because I wanted to leave my mark on this school,” said Ruth Nina, a graduating senior. Mr. Kirk and his special helpers have been working on this mural for almost 4 weeks and it is halfway done. Raymond Trang came up with the design on Photoshop, and he wanted a simple picture that would represent the arts with a good quote. For the past three weeks, students have had a blast painting the mural and connecting with other kids.

“If art is to nourish the root of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him,” John F Kennedy once said. This quote that will be going on the mural, and hopefully it will serve as an inspiration. John F. Kennedy is a good role model to show what they are capable of, as he is someone to look up to. Jack Kennedy was a very charming, calm and intelligent man. Our high school has some very charismatic, bright kids, especially in the arts department.

The art department felt it was about time to change the mural, the last one didn’t show their abilities as students. Some of the kids involved in the painting of the new mural are Stephanie Obia, Synovia Simon, Nicaury, Jessica Diaz, Alan Truong and D.J. Reiche. “I think it represents how creative and important arts is to this school. Art students may not be good at math, history or science but they don’t get to show of their true abilities. Kids aren’t able to express their artistic side because teachers put it of as something not important. I think they should find a way to put creative activates into lessons; maybe students would be more interested,” said Reiche.

All these inspirations and ideas floating around, the art department is already working on the next possible mural that would be going up next to this one. Dr.Minus has already approved the mural and it is now in process. They plan on making this mural more active with the students and making fundraiser out of it. Kids will be able to pay to paint on the mural and even get to sign it. It’ll be one big school art project, which will hopefully bring many people with same interest together.